Holistic Financial Wellness Counselors
Mission-Driven Investment Options For Your
When you are unaware that there are effective ways to maintain the integrity of your mission throughout your investment portfolio, the documentation of your investment policy is bound to be no more than an obligatory legal chore, filed for good record keeping and the inherent want of a return on your investment.
Life is full of too much humdrum paperwork. We want to engage with you so that your investment policy becomes an extension of what moves you, that is, your mission driven-commitment— a document and process by which you are excited as a result of the potential to further your cause.
- We will help you to better understand the impacts of the options that are available to your organization from the standpoint both of financial risk/return and alignment with your mission.
- We can partner with you to explore and identify cost-effective strategies to integrate ESG screened investments into your 401k, 403(B) or employer-sponsored retirement savings offerings.
- We can work with you to facilitate clear and focused strategic conversations with your board members and stakeholders around impact themes, mission-alignment, engagement, and buy-in.
- We can provide thorough and digestible tools and resources to help you influence other nonprofit colleagues and peers to adopt a mission-driven sustainable investing approach.
For most foundations and non-profits, there is a “firewall” between the investment portfolio and the mission of the organization. Typically, these organizations are required by the IRS to give 5% of their net worth each year towards Program Related Investments, or they loose their tax status. This means that they will generally target 5% returns/year to replace what’s given out, and it’s left to the investment advisor to determine how to do this without taking on too much risk. This leads to situations like This one, where the Gates Foundation discovered that their endowment was invested in companies that were directly at odds with their mission.
We believe that mission-driven organizations must not turn a blind eye to their investments. Let’s work together to find a way to express your mission in your portfolio, whether that means starting with the Hippocratic Oath: “first do no harm”, fully divesting from fossil fuels, or putting your endowment to work on the ground through local investing initiatives or gender lens investments. Visit our SRI Investing page for a deeper look at what’s possible, and remember, this is just the tip of the iceberg!
- Fiduciary Care — Just as you are a fiduciary to your organization, we are a fiduciary to you, providing advice with your organization’s best interests at heart.
- Common Interests — Our sole source of compensation is in the form of reasonable, transparent fees for the services we provide. With no hidden commissions or similar third-party arrangements, our interests are clearly aligned with yours and only with yours.
- Experienced Partners — Our team has walked in your shoes. Both Bob and Max serve on the boards of mission driven non-profits, and understand the way the process works. We’re here to help and serve your organization as partners who understand your needs and are willing to be flexible and work with you to set, measure, and achieve your goals.
Align your Entire portfolio with your Philanthropic Goals
Not just what you give away
How it works
- Income Tax: You receive an immediate income tax deduction in the year you contribute to your Donor Advised Fund. This makes tax planning easier by enabling you to get the tax benefit now, then decide when and where to actually give the money later.
- Capital Gains Tax: You will incur no capital gains tax on gifts of appreciated assets (i.e. securities, real estate, other illiquid assets).
- Estate Tax: Your Donor Advised Fund will not be subject to estate taxes.
- Tax-Free Growth: Your investments in a Donor Advised Fund can appreciate tax-free.
- Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT): If you are subject to alternative minimum tax, your contribution will reduce your AMT impact.